A host of exciting new developments have been given the green light in Knowsley, including a major retail scheme and supermarket in Kirkby, the Shakespeare North theatre, a hotel and hundreds of new homes.
The different projects were considered and approved by Knowsley Council’s Planning Committee tonight (Thursday 9 November).
The approved developments are:
- A new retail scheme in Kirkby town centre, including a large Morrisons supermarket, shop units, petrol station and car parking;
- The 350-seat Shakespeare North Playhouse theatre in Prescot town centre;
- A 27-bedroom boutique hotel in Prescot;
- An affordable homes development and Extra Care scheme in Kirkby; and
- High quality new homes on three sites in Huyton and Prescot.
Knowsley Council’s Regeneration and Economic Development Cabinet Member, Cllr Graham Morgan, said:
“It’s fantastic news for the borough that these different developments have been granted planning permission.
“Together, they will really enhance Knowsley and boost our profile as a place that people choose to visit for high quality leisure and shopping and a place where people want to live.
“We have worked hard to develop growth plans for sites right across the area, which have allowed us to bring these schemes forward and the variety of the different schemes is a real indication of the confidence developers in a number of sectors have in Knowsley.
“We estimate that these new developments will generate an extra £1.1m per year in Council Tax and Business Rates which we can use to protect key local services and invest in our communities for the benefit of Knowsley residents.”