Smokers in Knowsley can get help to give up at events throughout October as part of the ‘Know Your CO’ stop smoking campaign.
The Knowsley Stop Smoking Service ‘Smokefree Knowsley’ will be visiting local communities running CO (carbon monoxide) screening checks and pop-up stands where you can speak to trained advisors.
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and poisonous gas found in cigarette and second hand tobacco smoke.
Any smoker, no matter what age or how long you’ve smoked, will feel the health benefits of giving up within days. After 48 hours your sense of taste and smell greatly improves and within 72 hours your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase.
Cllr Sean Donnelly, Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care, said:
“Smoking can cause a number of severe health problems including cancer and heart disease. Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and the health of those around you. Research shows that if you can make it to 28 days without smoking, you are five times more likely to stay quit for good.
“We know that with support, smokers are more likely to succeed in their quit attempt. Our stop smoking service is here to help you with the events throughout October and all year round with a range of support and resources.”
‘Know Your CO’ events:
- 4 October, Parry’s Stockbridge Village, 9am to 4pm
- 8 October, Whiston Hospital Main Entrance, 11.30am to 3pm
- 10 October, Kirkby Town Centre, 11am to 2.30pm
- 11 October, ASDA Huyton, 9am to 4pm
- 15 October, Tesco Express Whiston, 12pm to 3pm
- 17 October, Kirkby Train Station, 11am to 2.30pm
- 18 October, Huyton Village, 9am to 4pm
- 22 October, Roseheath Drive Halewood 12pm to 3pm
- 24 October, Kirkby Town Centre, 11am to 2.30pm
- 25 October, North Huyton Resource Centre Huyton, 9am to 4pm
- 29 October, Whitakers Garden Centre Prescot, 12pm to 3pm
- 31 October, St Chads Clinic Kirkby (Outside CGL), 11am to 2.30pm
If you can’t get along to one of the events you can contact ‘Smokefree Knowsley’ on 0800 3247111 or 0151 426 7462, text quit to 61825 (normal network charge), visit the website or visit your local pharmacy for support to give up smoking.