It’s Alcohol Awareness Week (19 to 25 November) and this year the focus is on making changes in our lives so we can have a healthier relationship with alcohol, and signing up for Dry January is one of the ways to do this.
As part of the week registration is now open for Dry January 2019, the 31 day challenge to take a month off drinking alcohol in the New Year.
Support in Knowsley
Healthy Knowsley advisors will be visiting the borough’s leisure centres promoting sign up to the challenge and providing advice on simple lifestyle changes which could help improve your health and wellbeing. They will visit on the following dates:
- Tuesday 20 November, 9.30am to 12pm, Knowsley Leisure and Culture Park, Huyton
- Wednesday 21 November, 10.30am to 2pm, Knowsley Community College
- Tuesday 27 November, 9.30am to 12pm, Kirkby Leisure Centre
- Thursday 29 November, 9am to 12pm, Knowsley Leisure and Culture Park, Huyton
- Tuesday 4 December, 1 to 4pm, Kirkby Leisure Centre
- Tuesday 4 December, 10am to 2pm, Tesco Prescot
- Tuesday 4 December, 3pm to 5pm, Knowsley Leisure and Culture Park, Huyton
- Monday 10 December, 3pm to 5pm, Knowsley Leisure and Culture Park, Huyton
- Tuesday 11 December, 12pm to 5pm, Halewood Leisure Centre
The benefits of a dry January
There are lots of reasons for taking part in Dry January. As well as losing the hangover and helping you to lose weight, you’ll have a better night’s sleep and more energy. You’ll also save money, not to mention the sense of achievement!
It may also help you rethink your drinking habits in the future, as six months after completing Dry January many participants report that they are drinking less frequently and consuming less when they do drink.
Why sign up?
It’s free to sign up and if you do you are more likely to stay dry for the whole month as you get access to the free Dry January app, which helps you keep track of your month with features like a calorie calculator, unit tracker and tool to show how much you’ve saved.
You’ll also receive regular support emails with tips and information from experts to make your month easier and more fun.
Cllr Sean Donnelly, Knowsley Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care, said:
“After the excess of the holiday season January is the best time to give your body a little break, and the challenge is really simple to do – just swap your alcoholic drinks for low calorie soft-drinks or water in January to experience some health, as well as wealth, benefits.”
To find out more and sign up, visit the Dry January website.