Smokers in Knowsley are being encouraged to celebrate Christmas by quitting the habit.
By stopping smoking you will treat yourself and your loved ones to an extra special gift as your health improves and you save money.
If you choose to stop smoking you can expect to feel the health benefits immediately with your breathing becoming easier and your energy levels increasing after just 72 hours.
Free support and advice is available from Knowsley Stop Smoking Service and research shows that you are four times more likely to stop with specialist support than if you try to do it alone.
How much could quitting save you?
On average, if you smoke a pack of 20 cigarettes each day, you will save around £250 each month and can save up to £3,000 a year by going smokefree. Savings could pay for an extra special Christmas in 2017, or simply to help your budget stretch further each week.
Quitting the habit if you smoke 15 cigarettes a day could save you:
- £47 a week – which could pay for a Star Wars Remote Control BB-8 toy and a DVD.
- £205 a month – the cost of a PlayStation4 games console.
- £616 over three months – the equivalent of travel and a one-night stay for a family of four to London with a visit to the Harry Potter studio, plus an evening meal out.
- £1,233 in six months – a four-night holiday for a family of four to Disneyland Paris next Christmas.
- £2,467 in one year – which would cover the cost of a family day trip (2 adults and 2 children) to meet Santa Claus in Lapland plus a husky and reindeer ride for Christmas 2017.
Cllr Steff O’Keeffe, Knowsley Cabinet Member for Public Health, Wellbeing and Customer Services, said:
“We understand that most people who smoke want to stop but many find the task too daunting. With support, smokers are more likely to succeed in their quit attempt. Our stop smoking service is here to help you through a range of support and resources.
“It doesn’t matter if you have visited them before but it didn’t quite work out, you can access support as many times as you need.”
Matt Ashton, Director of Public Health for Knowsley, said:
“Giving-up smoking is the single best thing you can do for your health. If you stop smoking after seven days your blood oxygen and carbon monoxide levels will both have returned to normal. Breathing becomes easier and energy levels increase. And your ability to taste and smell is improved.
“It will also save money which could go towards a magical Christmas next year or enjoying more every day pleasures with your family throughout 2017.”
Ready to quit?
If you would like to quit smoking contact Knowsley Stop Smoking Service by calling 0800 3247111 or 0151 426 7462, visit the website www.readytostopsmoking.org.uk or visit your local pharmacy.