If you’re using an open fire to heat your home this winter, there are a number of steps you can take to reduce the impact on the environment and your health.
Open fires and wood-burning stoves have increased in popularity in recent years and that has created more smoke from chimneys.
Top tips include:
- Burn less fuel;
- Use ‘ready to burn’ fuel;
- Dry your wood before burning;
- Use approved smokeless fuels;
- Don’t burn waste wood or rubbish;
- Maintain and service your stove each year; and
- Get your chimney swept regularly.
As well as reducing harm to the environment and people’s health, these simple steps will also help you reduce your fuel and maintenance costs.